Wednesday, February 22, 2006



I believe that me moving to San Francisco has been destined since the moment I was born. I was born in Northern California during the greatest era of Bay Area sports. In 1985 the 49ers had just won their second Superbowl in 3 years. Joe Montana was our quarterback and Jerry Rice was about to enter his first year in the NFL. Then 49ers would then go on to win 3 more Superbowls over the next 10 years. Jerry Rice became the greatest wide receiver of all time. The Niners management snubbed Joe Montana and sent him to Kansas City, but Montana was replaced by Steve Young. To grow up in Northern California and not be a Niners fan during this time period would be like growing up in Boston and not being a Red Sox fan.

Joe Montana, the greatest quarterback of all time.

Jerry Rice, the greatest wide receiver of all time. My hero for the first 15 years of my life.

Steve Young, the 2nd greatest quarterback of all time. I saw Steve Young in person once. It was the strangest feeling in the world to be in the presence of greatest. I just wanted to go up to him and shake his hand and explain to him that he was God to me for about 8 years of my life.

Not only were the 49ers doing well during the mid to late 80's, but the Giants were as well and that's all because of Will "The Thrill" Clark. in 1989 the Giants went to the World Series. It was called the Bay Series because we were playing the Oakland Athletics. A huge earthquake happened in Game One and we ended up losing the series. The Giants have kind of made me a masochist. Every year they break my heart and I feel like I can't move for two months after the season, but every year I go back for more. They are my heart and my soul.


One of my very first memories is of a Giants game. I was two or three and I was at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. I had my cotton candy and I was jumping up and down yelling, "Will Clark! Will Clark!"

The love I have for my two sports teams, no matter how pathetic they may be right now, has made it inevitable; I will have to move to San Francisco. Hopefully with my degree is Physical Therapy I will be able to work for the Giants. Baseball is my world. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about moving to San Francisco and working for the Giants and maybe one day that dream will finally become a reality. If not, I know that in 60 years I will be one of those little old ladies at SBC Park with my 2006 Giants pins on my hat and my old school Giants gear cheering on my team every game. Getting old scares me, but the that thought right there makes me smile.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gloria said...

The hat thought makes me smile too.

Oooh, it would be so cool if you could work for the Giants. That would be awesome. Even though I don't like baseball. But I would be so excited for you!

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home