Tuesday, January 17, 2006




Today I found that my last remaining grandparent passed away today. Last January my grandpa was diagnosed with liver cancer and was given 3 months to live and here it is exactly one week shy of a year so I'm taking it pretty well considering I've had almost a year to prepare myself for this event. It is still a sad thing and not because he was my last grandparent, but because my grandpa was a pretty cool guy since he straightened out his life in his older age.

I'm going to miss going over to his house and playing Cribbage with him while listening to 40's music.

I'm going to miss asking him if it feels weird when he eats without his teeth in.

I'm going to miss hearing him talk about WWII and how he would break Japanese codes.

I'm going to miss hearing him laugh, more like cackle, everytime I accuse him of cheating. When I was 9 years old my grandpa cheated me in Poker and I finally figured it out because whenever he would start cheating he would start cackling and I eventually wrote an essay about it in one of my classes. Which leads me to another thing I'm going to miss about him. I'm going to miss hearing about how he still has that essay I wrote about him and cheating in Poker everytime I see him.

I'm going to miss his hugs.

And I'm going to miss seeing him walk into the house wearing his Harley Davidson hat.

I'm going to miss telling him why the Cardinals and the Braves suck and the Giants rule.

I never knew my other grandpa because he died before I was born and I'm almost kind of glad I never met him because I wouldn't want to have anyone else to compare my grandpa to. I never really got very close with my two grandmas so I'm really going to miss my grandpa and I'm so glad the family was able to get together this Christmas to say good-bye to him. My family is everything to me and even though I know it was time for my grandpa to go, it still means that there is a little less family in my life now. I'll miss you, Grandpa and I love you with all my heart.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful elegy, miss penny. i'm glad you got to spend so much time with him - he sounds like a great grandpa, full of all the usual grandpa tricks!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Gloria said...

At least you have all these wonderful memories with him. That is so important.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was really nice to read, Penny. You know he's playing cribbage as we speak, eating some eggs and sausage, and hanging out with Koko!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your grandpa sounds like he was a great guy. I'm glad you have so many good memories of him to look back on.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Sorry for your loss and even if you don't have the essay, you now have this post to go back and read.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home