Monday, August 01, 2005

I have a knitting dilemma! I'm knitting a scarf for my friend, Andy, and he wants it to be black and pink. So here's the deal, so far I've started and I'm making the black part longer than the pink, but I don't know what to do now that I've gotten past the first pink stripe.

Should I:

1) keep making a bunch of pink stripes

or

2) make it so there are only two pink stripes at the ends of the scarf

Here's a picture so you'll be able to get a better idea of what I am talking about!





Please, help! My visual spatial abilities are limited and it doesn't help that I don't have much of a fashion sense! I don't know. The more I look at it, the more I want to take out the whole thing. I think there is too much black on the end. Argh! HELP!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about make the other end the mirror opposite? so it is mostly pink with just a black stripe?

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you want to make a hipster-prep "school colors" kind of scarf (although obviously these are not his school colors), then you need to rip and make the black and pink stripes even. If you envisioned more of a sportster scarf, you can just do another pink stripe right where you are and then do the mirror image on the other side. Or, if you want a more funky, modern scarf, Carolyn's suggestion sounds great.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penny! Check out this site...it's an internet stripe generator, so you can see how striped combinations will work out before you knit them! Genius!

http://www.kissyourshadow.com/stripe_maker.php

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote is to keep it black and then do one more identical pink stripe when you get to the other end. That way the pink is more subtle and not too super trendy.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. or you could do fibonacci striping...

see here:
http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fibonacci_seq.shtml

or here:
http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/tips/math.shtml

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home