Wednesday, July 20, 2005

I lived in a town in Northern California named Redding for 15 years of my life. When I say Northern California, I don't mean the Bay Area, I mean NORTHERN California, like two hours from the Oregon border Northern California. Redding has the most amazing winters. It's not so cold you feel like you're going to die the moment you stick a toe out the door, but it usually snows once a year and it is in the 40's during the day and 30's at night. The summers on the other hand are the most miserable things ever!!! Almost every day it is over 100 degrees and if it is in the mid to low 90's it is a cool day. I am telling you this because after growing up in that weather for 15 years I thought I would be so used to hot weather I could handle anything, but this is not the case. LA is going through it's "heatwave" right now which means in Huntington Beach it gets up to around 76-80 degrees. I don't have air conditioning in my apartment and a fair share of my afternoons are spent with me laying on my floor in my underwear moaning about how I can't handle this heat. When I was in Redding for a few weeks earlier this summer it would get up to around 86 and I was complaining to everyone about how I was going to die of a heat stroke. They all thought I was crazy. I am slowly turning into a Southern Californian.

I am also starting to feel like either an alcoholic or a crackhead and not because I'm drinking too much or I am doing crack, but because I fall asleep on my floor every afternoon. Not on my bed or a chair or sofa(that might also be because at the moment I don't have a sofa), but the floor. It's not even like I just pass out for a quick 15 minute cat nap, it is for at least a good hour or more. I'm taking a summer school class and it's 4 days a week for 4 hours a day for three weeks so it is kicking my ass between having to get up at 7 every morning, sitting in class for four hours learning about court cases, and then having to come home and do the insane amounts of reading the rest of the afternoon. It's not the easiest thing in the world to learn an entire semester of court cases in three weeks, let me tell you. This class is killing me so as soon as I get home I fall asleep on the floor in this insane heat in my underwear. I am losing my sanity.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're cracking me up. i am dying of heat in chicago this summer and a NY friend came to visit last weekend and she finally said "you know, i don't think you used to complain about being hot all the time! what's wrong with you!" and then everytime we went anywhere with AC - i'd be too cold!!

and as to the floor thing, i don't know what it is, dude, but i nap on the floor all the time. or i watch TV from the floor with all the lights out. mariko calls me up all the time "what're you doing?" and if i don't seem to have a good answer she says "are you lying on the floor again????"

the underwear thing i can't help you with... :)

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home